Remembering Ron McClelland – Story Side B

Ron McClelland

Ron McClelland

Ron McClelland, bass player for Story Side B passed away unexpectedly from an apparent heart attack yesterday afternoon. The band was on the last day of a cruise and he collapsed while playing basketball. Medical crews worked for over an hour but he never recovered. He was 33 years old and was survived by his wife Rebecca.

I will never forget my first year at GMA. I was kind of wowed by the whole experience and after the William Morris Agency lunch the artists were gathered around and were talking to everyone. I was standing around, and Ron came up to me and introduced himself and asked me where I was from and we talked for about 5 minutes. He was telling me about how he was a youth pastor before he joined Storyside. He also introduced me to the other guys in the band.

It was cool that in the years following I would always seem to cross paths a couple of times during the week. He always recognized me more by face than by name, but he was always very nice and friendly. He was a great musician and a great guy. He will be missed. Please keep his wife Rebecca, and his bandmates, Lucio, Preston and Jordan in your prayers.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1PLIRz2MTg&NR=1]

Be Sociable, Share!

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

27 Responses to Remembering Ron McClelland – Story Side B

1. Scott Shipley January 19, 2009 at 4:57 pm #

I always thought I’d see him again. I know, I will in heaven. I wish I hadn’t taken that for granted.
    I remember him for the person God created and the impact he has had on so many people. He’s with our Father now.

To Ron’s family,

If I can do anything just call me here in Michigan. Miss you.

2. Bernell Nettles January 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm #

I was really saddened by the news when I received it today. I grew to love Ron as the wonderful brother in Christ he was. He was always an encouragement to me at ALCC and it was truly a pleasure and a blessing to have known him. I know he is with the Lord in heaven and I will see him again. To Rebecca and Ron’s family, all I can say is I will be praying for you all that God will strengthen you and that he will comfort you always. Ron was truly a wonderful man, musician, friend, and Christian. I will always remember him.

God Bless

3. Joel Cruzada January 19, 2009 at 11:45 pm #

Always in God’s time. As if it was his final mission to fulfill his role with StorySide:B and to bring HIS message through the music and bring it to a full circle and as it came to an end, so did his mission and then he was called back home…

My prayers to all…
    Joel Cruzada

4. Samuel Mateo, Jr. January 20, 2009 at 12:31 am #

This is so sad. So young. But Lord knows all things. His wife and band mates are definitely in my prayers.

5. Jeff Goodman January 20, 2009 at 1:05 am #

We were so happy to be able to go see Ron in concert over the summer. We never expected this to happen. Know that our prayers are with you and we are here if you need us. Ron had a great talent and touched alot of people and i’m sure his music will continue touching people.

I’m in Michigan if you need to reach me.
    God bless you,
    Jeff Goodman
    Durand, MI

6. Charley January 20, 2009 at 6:38 am #

@Jeff Thanks for your visit and your comments. Its always hard when the Lord calls someone home so unexpectedly.

7. Charley January 20, 2009 at 6:42 am #

@Samuel Thanks so much for your comment. I’m sure his family and bandmates appreciate all of our prayers. What a nice looking website you have!

8. Charley January 20, 2009 at 6:44 am #

@ Joel You are so right. It is all in God’s time and I am thankful that Ron had the courage to use his gifts as a youth pastor and a musician to reach out to us all through music. Thanks for your visit and your comment.

9. Charley January 20, 2009 at 6:51 am #

@ Bernell Thanks so much for sharing. I agree he was a great brother in Christ and always greeted me with a huge smile and very firm handshake. I will add your church to my prayer list.

10. Charley January 20, 2009 at 7:43 am #

@Scott Thanks so much for sharing. One thing that comforts me is knowing that Ron was using his God given talent doing something he loved doing. In this life, it doesn’t get much better than that.

11. Michael Hendryx January 20, 2009 at 8:50 am #

I am saddened to hear of Ron passing. My seven year old daughter, Katie, is a huge fan (as we are) and just gave him a big hug in December at the Bethlehem Experience, Ponte Vedra, Florida. As Katie said to me, “Don’t cry daddy…he is lying with the lions and swimming with the dolphins and he gets to sit on Gods lap…how cool is that?” From the mouth of innocent babes.

Our prayers are with his family and the band.

Blessings <,

Michael

12. Laurie Vazquez January 20, 2009 at 2:41 pm #

My husband and I met Story Side B in March 2008 when they were part of a sponsored event by Calvary Chapel of Ocala. My husband and I manned the World Vision table. We met each of the band members and their manager and all I can say is that they are a wonderful group of people. My husband and I were very impressed by their talents as well as their personalities. Ron will be sorely missed, but God has him now. As we know, God’s ways are not our ways. I am praying for and extend my condolences to his wife and child, as well as Story Side B. God loves you Ron, thank you for gracing us with you and your talent.

13. Tyson January 20, 2009 at 2:42 pm #

I never really got to know him he was my uncle and best one at that.Let god keep him safe and stay in our prayers.I love him with all my heart and will be at his funeral.

love always,
    Tyson

14. Marjorie Jaszcz January 20, 2009 at 6:19 pm #

I remember Ron and his siblings horse-playing in the halls of FGT. The McClellands are such a God-fearing, loving family who all give the best hugs! My love and prayers go out to you all. I grieve with you, but rejoice knowing Ron Jr. is with our Saviour.

15. Cindy Novero January 21, 2009 at 12:26 pm #

I remember Ron and the band when they came to First Sunday in Noblesville, Indiana. I was blessed to prepare meals for the band and the workers. They drove up starving! I could almost hear their stomach’s growling. I was preparing a huge home cooked meal for them and a pot of chili for my workers. They heard about the chili and headed for my kitchen and converged on my thre gallon pot of chili! Ron looked in the pot and took in the sumptuous smells of the chili powder, beans and beefy-tomato concotion! He inquired if he could partake of my humble pot of chili with those beautiful eyes and puppy smile. How could I resist!!!! The guys ate and ate until they had their fill. They did dine later, but I will NEVER forget feeding those precious brothers that night. Every time I make Chili for my family I think of Story Side B and the annointing God has placed on their music ( and the Chili story)!!! I love and pray for you guys and his wife. I will continue to lift you to the mercy seat of God as you get through this difficult time. I Know Ron is with the Father in heaven. He is partaking of bread we have never tasted! In Jesus love, Cindy Novero

16. S. LeAnne Bellue January 21, 2009 at 11:19 pm #

I have never met Mr. Ron McClelland or any of the other members from Story Side B. I am a fan of their music. Their songs have been a grand part of keeping me on track (or placing me back on track at times when I’ve fallen off) in my walk with Christ. I absolutely love their music. When I heard the news on K-Love at work today, I was dumbstruck. Saddened. Now, heartbroken.
    I want to thank Mr. Ron McClelland (and Story Side B) for always being there for me when I needed help or understanding. Often times, just hearing the right words in a song that make a person feel like others understand what (I) am going through can do wonders. He (R. M.) touched my life in ways he will never even know along with his bandmates. I will truly miss him even though I never had the pleasure of meeting him.
    My heart goes out to his wife, Rebecca McClelland, his family/bandmates/friends. I am so very sorry for your loss. So terribly sorry. Thank you for sharing Mr. Ron McClelland with the world. We were the ones who were blessed.

S. LeAnne Bellue
    jcspassion@sbcglobal.net
    Fan of Story Side B

17. Kemi January 23, 2009 at 12:28 pm #

I still can’t believe it. All i can do is pray. He really mentored me, and was just present to me as a fellow bassist, but more as a friend in the industry. It’s a complicated thought that he is better where he is, but it doesn’t help the pain. Praying for his wife, family, friends and band members. Ron was the kind of person everybody should have the privilege of meeting and knowing. We played a christian music festival, and as a new band, i was just another face. a fly on the wall. Ron noticed it, and came right over to me with Lu. They introduced themselves, encouraged me, said they enjoyed our set, gave me pointers, and Ron gave me his number, saying if i had any questions, if i was ever in his neck of the woods, anything at all, to call him. Man, i was flying high at that point being a fan of the band, now having the opportunity to be a friend of Ron.What a great loss. He is and will be greatly missed. May his soul Rest in Perfect Peace

Kemi ndolo
    Bass Guitarist Matt Maher Band

18. dave January 25, 2009 at 12:27 pm #

AH dont worry hes probably been reincarnated now or gone onto a new level and planetary world

19. gina rizzo January 26, 2009 at 10:46 am #

I am a member of the family. I am Rebeca’s Aunt.
    Rebeca, I love you and I will deeply miss Ron. I am praying for you for God’s peace at this time. Now he is playing to the Lord up in heaven.

Love, your Aunt Gina

20. Neal January 26, 2009 at 10:13 pm #

I am Ron’s brother-in-law. Please consider donating something to help Ron’s wife pay for expenses during this difficult time. Any amount given will be much appreciated! For info on donating please go to the following address:

With love,
    Neal

21. Charley January 27, 2009 at 8:18 pm #

Dave,
    Thanks for your comment. As Christians, we don’t believe in reincarnation or new levels as you put it.

22. Charley January 27, 2009 at 8:20 pm #

Gina,
    I am so sorry to hear about Ron. I am praying for Rebecca, and the rest of the family. If there is ever anything I can do please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Blessings to you!

23. Charley January 27, 2009 at 8:22 pm #

Neal,
    Thanks so much for your comment. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. If there is anything I can do, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Blessings..

24. Ben January 28, 2009 at 12:01 am #

The few times I was able to hang with Ron, was a pleasant experience. Always had a smile and was such a genuine, outgoing person. I was really shocked to hear the news but pray that God gives his family strength through this tough time.

Ben Cordonero Drummer of Salvador

25. Cheryl Wyatt February 4, 2009 at 11:37 pm #

So sorry for your loss.

Cheryl

26. Angela February 17, 2009 at 2:16 pm #

I knew Ron from high school and we talked through the years. I just found out the news on Saturday. He was always a beautiful gift, I never heard him speak a harsh word and was always prepared with to give his best smile. My prayers go out to all who mourn him, he was well loved.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ron McClelland « ‘GenX’ For A Whole Other Reason - January 20, 2009

[…] by GenX on 20 January, 2009 Ron McClelland of StorySide:B, died of an apparent heart attack on the 18th of Jan while on a […]